Community Service & Sporting Events
As a part of our massage therapy program, we require the students to learn about giving back to the community and thus we participate in a number of local events throughout the year.
It gives the students the opportunity to learn about charity, market and network with those in the community, massage a diverse population and gain real world, interactive experience.
Fieldwork — Frequently Asked Questions
- What events does Blue Sky participate in?
- Does my event qualify?
- How do I apply to have Blue Sky attend?
- How long before I know if Blue Sky can attend?
- What if I pay the school and or students will you attend then?
- What if I already have a qualified Team Leader for the event?
- For all questions please read and follow the steps below.
- Please note that we RARELY accept events that are less than 6 weeks from first inquiry. We require this amount of time to follow our procedure. We recommend 6 weeks to 3 months in advance is the best amount of time.
Emailing the Fieldwork Coördinator is our preferred method for contacting and communicating. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide chair massage or sports massage to everyone that inquires. Many factors play into the ability for us to do your event. Please make sure that you qualify as an approved event before sending your email.
STEP ONE: What Qualifies?
Blue Sky qualifies events into three categories: Community Service, Sporting Event and all other non-qualified events.
To qualify for a Community Service Event, the event needs to rely heavily on volunteers, with community members, other businesses and not for profit groups donating their time. The event should be raising money for a non-profit, creating awareness or promoting health and wellness that service the community as a whole. Public attendance expectations need to exceed 50 people.
To qualify for a Sporting Event: The event must allow our students to be massaging persons that are participating in the sporting event. Examples might be marathons, 5ks, cycling events, run/walks and triathlons, such as Relay for Life, Race for the Cure and Cellcom Marathon. Sporting events area where we are massaging the participants that are in the sporting event. Public attendance expectations need to exceed 300 people.
Non-qualified events are; employee appreciation day(s), private parties, and events that participants would pay money for a massage or donate money for a massage. If your event falls in this category, it does not qualify for a school sanctioned function where we could have students attending and receiving credit. However if your event wishes us to post your event to see if we know of graduates or students that wish to volunteer on their own time, send a flyer for your event to the location. Indicating you just wish to have the event posted for this purpose only.
Community Service and Sporting Events that qualify as school sanctioned functions are posted for students to sign up to participate. Student participation is based on their schedules and is a non-mandatory option, we cannot guarantee student sign-up. These events also need to be supervised by qualified Team Leaders. If you know of a State of Wisconsin licensed bodyworker attending the event that would like to volunteer to supervise the students, please include that information in your communication to the school. All factors need to be in place before the event is officially approved.
STEP TWO: Email Communication
First off, please put in the subject of all future emails the date of the event of which you are inquiring about. This will allow us to better serve you and to insure that your request does not get lost in the many e-mails we receive every day. If you do not have an exact date, please use the name of your event and contact personís name, i.e.; Relay for life Grafton-Bob Smith.
Secondly, If you qualify, please send the following information in the email,
- Name of event
- Purpose of event
- Date of event
- Time of event (exact time we arrive and depart)
- Location with address and description
- How many people you are expecting at this event
- Is there a place for students to get food or snacks and is it free or at a cost
- Do you want them to use massage tables or massage chairs
- Size of the area of which we will set up in (example; 20′ x 30′)
- Do you have a massage therapist on staff or that is interested in the event already, if so what is their name and contact phone and email
- The name and contact phone and email of the contact person we will be talking with to plan this event
- Number of students requested (this might be adjusted by us)
- Email the locations nearest your event:
Green Bay (GreenBay@BlueSkyMassage.com)
STEP THREE: Waiting & Follow-Up
After this information has been collected, there is a protocol that happens on our end. We check with our students to make sure that the date is not a conflict with other events, classes or other school requirements. We then search for a supervisor that is pre-approved through Blue Sky School. This process takes the most amount of time. If we are unable to find a supervisor we will not be able to do the event. If you know a massage therapist that is state licensed and is willing to supervise this event it will increase the probability of us being about to do your event. If all things needed have been approved, we then post it for the students to sign up. We will contact you at this time to let you know that your event is being posted for the students. You will be contacted 2 weeks before the event and let you know how many students have signed up.